Qualities that Any Self-Respecting Child Psychologist Must Possess

Qualities that Any Self-Respecting Child Psychologist Must Possess
March 18 12:53 2019 Print This Article

As the old saying goes — when all that you have is a hammer, you are likely to see everything as a nail. That is to say that taking your child to a psychologist because he or she seems to be struggling has some serious risks. Tags can be pinned on your child like flypaper due to the dumbfounded misconception among peers, insensitive referrals, parent-blaming lectures as well as quick recommendations for medication or in-patient treatment when simple less intrusive solutions do exist.

Consider that just strolling right into the workplace of a mental wellness expert can make children feel different like the problem is inside them and that everything is their fault. Fortunately, it does not have to be this way, and it all starts with choosing the right therapist for your child.

Here are a few ideas on how to find a good child psychologist

Before you arrange a consultation with a child psychologist in Sydney , it is essential that you choose one who is qualified and has a reputation for staying clear of any iatrogenic (unintended) effects on a child and his or her family.

Families all have their preferences when it pertains to the sort of therapy that they want for their children. Respect must be afforded to any psychological health and wellness expert  that is passionate, experienced and straightforward about their strategy. There are great deals of techniques: cognitive behavioural; family-based; Rogerian; story, Dialectical behavioural; scene; systemic; play; psychoanalytic; and also the checklist goes on.

Studies show that great specialists generate great results for many problems if the specialist feels competent to manage them and also has adequate experience to administer therapy. Most people would agree that it is more important that you find the right therapist to take care of your child than which strategies he/she uses.

Consider those evaluations of all known treatment strategies like play therapy or speech therapy for children generate the same results when performed by a skilled and knowledgeable therapist. About 50% of all youngsters will undoubtedly improve. Of those that improve, 80% will reveal progression in a relatively short time, and the remaining 20% will need longer-term assistance.

Why is there so little difference in between kinds of treatment? Here’s what we know about the very best therapies for youngsters and what they have in common

It is all about relationships, and as much as 85% of change can be attributed to the partnership created between the specialist and the kid and the parent. If your kid isn’t forming a bond with his specialist, for whatever factor, or does not rely on the specialist, the best thing to do is find another one.

Also, it is just as important to find a therapist that does not pathologise a kid. That is to say that he or she sees the kid’s toughness as well as is open to hearing the kid’s (and also the moms and dads’) opinion regarding the obstacles the child encounters. The specialist recognises that the child’s troubles are a way of coping. When there is an actual issue such as clinical depression or ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder), then the therapist identifies the problem as the issue.

A great therapist does not condemn others for the kid’s issue, nor does she blame the child. An excellent specialist sees problems as complicated as well as understands that remedies are typically complex as well. Criticising moms and dads or colleges or anybody else isn’t always going to help a youngster. If it seem like your therapist is criticising others for the kid’s problem, find another one who is more activity oriented as well as aid in solving the child’s troubles instead of creating more of them.

When you find somebody who approaches his or her work with the principles mentioned above in mind, then you are most likely to have found somebody who can help your child. However, keep in mind that no therapy is guaranteed to work nor should you believe anyone who claims to have the answer. Instead, parents would do well to focus their time and energy on finding a therapist that your child engages with and trusts. Doing so will drastically improve your chances of a successful outcome, whatever form it may be.


view more articles

About Article Author

Anna Stinson
Anna Stinson

View More Articles